Sunday, November 6, 2011

Picture Day for Outstanding Members of my Microaquarium Community

So, on Friday, Nov. 4, 2011, I returned to lab to view my micro aquarium, photograph a few distinct organisms, identify them and edit the photos to post to this blog. It really hadn't changed much from the previous week.
 I found this Coleochate sp. It is stationary and photosynthetic (Raven, Figure 17-36a).
This is who I call Mr. Cyclops sp. He is an arthropod that moves quickly and directly. I was unable to get an image of the female (Thorp, Figure 16c).
This is Epalxis sp., is a protozoa that moves slowly erraticly with two flaggelum, one leads the other lags behind (Patterson, Figure 311).


This is a Rotifer sp., there are many of these in my aquarium and like the Cyclops sp, they also move quickly (Patterson, Figure 15).


This Vorticella sp., is a protozoa that is stationary in that it's base is anchored. It has multiple flagellum that it uses to create a current that draws a random selection possible food to it. (Patterson, Figure 233).

No comments:

Post a Comment